Friday, May 14, 2010

Cake Time

I have a new love--making fun birthday cakes for my kids. Before last year, my cake-making skills consisted of either baking a plain sheet cake with frosting, cupcakes, or an occasional store-bought cake. But, last year, my oldest daughter asked me to make her a castle birthday cake for her 5th birthday. I immediately began looking at castle cake pictures on the internet and I figured out how to make one all by myself. (I will, however, give my husband some consulting credit.)

My second attempt came when child #2 asked to have a Treasure Hunt party for her 4th birthday. I, again, began looking at pictures and quickly decided to make a treasure box cake. It was a lot trickier than the castle, but I have to admit that it turned out better than I could have imagined. And it was a big hit at the party.


A year has past since the castle cake and I told my now 6 year-old that I would make her another cake, but that it had to be a little simpler because we were not doing a friend party. So, we decided that I would make her a My Little Pony cake because I had seen a picture of a cake that a friend had posted on their blog. It looked really easy, but really cute. It turned out even better than I had hoped.

Now, my baby will be turning one in a month and the wheels are turning in my brain to try and figure out what kind of cake to make for my little man. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I made a monkey cake, they are so fun and really easy, you just do a monkey head. You use a round cake pan for the head, a small round bowl for the mouth area, and two cupcakes or a little bigger for the ears. You frost the face with choc. frosting then you use some white frosting mixed with choc. for the mouth area, inside the ears, and around the eyes. I used little peppermint patties with a brown m&m in the center for the eyes, if you want I would be happy to email you a picture. It was so fun and so easy, thanks for all your fun ideas, it's fun to see what ideas others have for the kids. (oh, if you want the picture emailed, just comment, I will get the follow up comment at my email.