Thursday, June 10, 2010

What Is Their Currency?!

DSCN1123 Doesn’t this face just say….TROUBLE!

Whether it is face painting with diaper rash cream & tooth paste, sneaking the Cheetos with cousin before dinner, or quietly hiding in the suit pant racks at Kohl’s scaring me half to death that she has been taken (though they might just bring her back with the way she has been acting lately!)…This girl is always in trouble.

What do you do?!

When my oldest was this age I remember having family night lessons about obedience and a lot of solitary moments in time out, which seemed to work for her. She is great now and the “teacher tricks” I have up my sleeve from 8 years of teaching Special Education work great for her.

But this 2 year old is giving me a run for my money! Time out seems to be no big deal, she won’t sit long enough to listen at a family night lesson & she’s not quite old enough to understand the token economy systems. Praise works sometimes, but not consistently enough to make Mamma happy! My SIL told me once, that you just have to figure out what their “currency” is. This girl loves her “nubby blanket” and silky “jammie dresses”. I guess if she keeps it up she’ll be sleeping cold and naked!

I would love to hear your ideas out there..

What is working (or has worked) for your toddlers in the areas of discipline and obedience?

Thanks for listening!

Hallie

UPDATE:

I found a cute sticker chart at "Executive Homemaker" that I may give a try!

No comments: